Monday, March 10, 2014

System shock!

Over the weekend I ran into some system shock. I went by a few of my close bike shops and saw some guys I was riding with last year. I kept thinking to myself... "holy crap, these dudes have got FIT." No kidding, I'm talking ~20lbs or more for each fella. I immediately got home and dusted off the old scale...

It can happen to us all...
152lbs!

Ok. I know I might be sounding a bit over-dramatic. Sure, sure, I hold a relatively similar level of fitness year round (or so I think) and maybe some of the guys I hadn't seen in a while had more to lose... but still. These guys have been busting their @$$es to crush face this season. This season which starts at the end of this month... What have I been doing? Have I REALLY been hitting it hard? Or have I been enjoying House of Cards and Japanese Whisky a little too much? (House of Cards is really addicting you have to admit...)

Don't get me wrong. I've been putting in some miles... but I've also been slacking... I know it deep down. Maybe it's been the winter, maybe it's been the booze, maybe it's just been a slump.
Nonetheless, it's over.
Monday was back on the straight and narrow. The drinks are going back to water, the diet is going to get a little more "athletic" again and the motivation is running on FULL. The best way to start that was with a 5x5 Bike ride into a 30' run brick. It's no secret that I don't enjoy bricks... never have...never will. That's not a good reason to avoid them. I've got some serious goals this year... they aren't going to make themselves happen.

So maybe you're like me... maybe you need a wake up call. Well here it is. Get up off your butt and make your dreams a reality. Nobody else is going to do it for you. Hell, nobody else even cares if you do it yourself.

Stay Hungry. Stay Foolish.

Ok, I really didn't mean for this post to turn into a motivational poster, but it did and that's that. However, all the motivation in the world is worth what it costs to type it out. We'll see in a couple of months whether this was all hot air, or whether I am still hungry. (You all know I'm still foolish.)

On a different note, I am happy to say my first couple of rides on the Cobb SHC saddle are VERY promising. A week isn't really enough time to give a full review (although that is coming) but I have to say I'm very impressed with this thing. It's basically all the things I liked about my Arione Tri2 without the things I didn't like.

A new love affair? Don't tell Jenny...
So, give me a little time on this thing and I'll have a good old fashioned review ready to roll. (and some updates on my thoughts on the HC170 as well.)

Well, while I could spend a lot more of your time rambling on about random stuff... I'll just condense it to some sweet bullet points (everyone loves bullet points!)


  • The new Sanderson book is awesome
  • House of Cards and Game of Thrones are the best shows ever
  • Swimming at 4a.m. still sucks
  • I can't wait to return to the beach
  • I'm not a very good car mechanic
  • Winter is almost over!!!!
There... the short version of what I was going to draw out :)

As always, thanks so much for reading. I'm about to go for a run!

- Christopher Morelock

No comments:

Post a Comment