Wednesday, May 18, 2016

No Show Jones


There are certain qualities you can admire about people, and other's you should likely shy away from. In my own case, not showing up for the start of my performance is a quality I should NOT try to emulate from Mr. Jones. Nonetheless, at the Three Rivers Rumble TT last Saturday, as my start time came and went, I was not there to witness it. I was instead sprinting up a hill through the crowded parking lot trying to make it in time, which I failed to do.

Perhaps it is internal self sabotage, perhaps it was not syncing my Timex with my smartphone's time, or perhaps it was just an oversight... but regardless, it shouldn't have happened, and I am kicking myself still for such a bungle.

Nonetheless, there is good stuff to be learned from even the most foolish races. So let's go through the race.

My warmup was spot on. I brought my road bike and trainer so I could get my warmup in without having to mess with my View Speed skewers removal and re-installation. (along with not shredding my paper thin tire) I got a solid 40 minutes in of varying intensities, along with a few short high watt efforts to open up the legs. Then I jumped off the trainer and took my final pee break.  Unfortunately, this is where I severely misjudged how much time I had before the start. I leisurely walked back to the car and started changing from my warmup shorts to my Nopinz skinsuit. As I'm trying to get it on the wife says "I think it's your time to start." Oh... woops. I fumble getting into my skintight suit and my aero gloves, totally skip my overshoes and grab a final drink of water as I'm getting on my Speed Concept. I head up through the parking lot attempting to re-set my Powertap (it was paired with my trainer bike) when I start hearing people yelling my name. I realize it's my time to go and put down a solid sprint up the hill and through the parking lot. As I come toward the line Jerome is yelling at me "shop, put your foot down and GO!"

Oh...

I guess I missed my start by a bit then.

Fortunately year's of triathlete habit kick in and I'm unclipped and re-clipped without fumbling around too much, then it's a solid sprint from the start line. I had planned to get up to speed faster than usual for this race due to it's shortness, but I hadn't really planned on a full out of the saddle sprint. Part of my matchbook just got burned up in the first 10 seconds. I settle in and attempt to do damage control. The course starts with a short incline, then tapers off into a long gradual decline to the first turn. With my overly large gearing I'm able to continue applying steady cadence and power the entirety of the decline and hit the turn about as hot as I could without crossing the yellow line. At the turn the road kicks up just slightly again all the way up to the next 180° turn. I take it at an almost perfect apex and then it's the long final drag to the finish line. Head down I dig into the hurt locker... my legs and filled with lactic acid at this point and I'm very lucky that there was absolutely nothing but straight road in front of me because I didn't have the mental faculties left to do anything but point forward and push. I hit the line and very nearly vomit on my fancy skinsuit. I was pretty happy that I had given it the best I had under the circumstances.

Disappointed face
I got back and sucked down what must have been a gallon of water. Jimmy pretty handily slayed the CAT4 group, as he is wont to do in a 4:52.  I checked my time and saw I had laid down a 5:15, which obviously was not terribly impressive (landing me in 8th I believe) but was not giving up and insane amount of time to the stronger riders out there (whom a shorter course should favor in my opinion) so although disappointed I was not heartbroken.

All the Water!
I'm not sure how much time I gave up from my start. My 30" man started very close behind me, so I can speculate, but that isn't worth much. I also obviously gave up some time by doing a foot down start as opposed to a hold, so I figure I was fighting with the top guys had I been on time.

So the lesson for everyone out there is... BE ON TIME TO YOUR RACE! Especially in races that are decided by seconds! (which is all of them!)


I apologize to my family who came to see me, my sponsors who got me there, and to you guys for having to read through what seems like one more of an endless report of excuses. I have to get my game tight once again, and I have failed so far as to do so, and I'm sorry.

Thanks so much for reading! I really appreciate it!

Next week, fun at Rev3 Knoxville (although unless I find a relay team it looks like I'll be sitting this one out... I have no business swimming in my current shape.)

Thanks so much for reading!

Christopher Morelock

1 comment:

  1. This reminds me of the Seinfeld episode where the marathon runner stays with jerry and all the alarms screw up! Sorry it did not go like planned, but I bet you it never happens again!

    ReplyDelete