Wednesday, August 23, 2017

What to do with extra fitness.

As I mentioned in a previous post, I ended up sort of peaking beyond when it was expected. Obviously, that's not ideal, but now it's either let it go to waste or find something to "spend" it on. With no more TT's of note on the schedule for the year and with an imminent trip to Germany looming over me in the not so distant future, I had to come up with something quick and fairly close.

Last year around this time I had an ill fated attempt at Dick Lane Velodrome's Hour Day, where (on my second time ever on the track if I may impart a small excuse) I managed about 20 minutes before my very aggressive position mixed with my unpreparedness for the distinct difference of riding an hour on the track, along with doing it blind (both literally and figuratively, as I lost my contact lenses about 5' into the ride and couldn't hear anything my wife was yelling at me track side...) and maybe also the nonzero of how unique a track Dick Lane is (if you've ever ridden it you know what I mean) ended my ride. On the plus side, those 20' went pretty well... Now, just have to do that times 3.

As for the current record, Tim Granger is the man to beat, with 161 laps (40.45kmph) done right before Thanksgiving last year. I think it's a pretty good record on that track... as the Giordana velodrome isn't particularly "fast" being concrete and exposed to the elements.  I will definitely respect his record, and will ride very close to it for the majority of my own ride, or at least that is the plan.

So how do I think I'll do?  I'm actually very interested to see. On the one hand, I think I've come a LONG way since Dick Lane last year, but as I've said, trying to ride 40k+ for an hour on a track is something I have 0 experience doing, so there is most definitely the scenario where I don't even finish. That said, my primary goal is to ride it out, regardless of what kind of speed I manage. I would like to finish it at the very least.

In all honesty, my gut tells me that if I have to match the same watts I did at the TN State TT to hold the pace, it will be a tough day that will come down to the last few minutes. If the requirement is more, it may be out of my reach, and if it's less, I will hopefully only suffer a good amount and not the entire time. Some of that will also likely depend on the weather. As I'm starting late (1p.m.) and the track is exposed, I'll almost certainly get a hot day (which is technically a good thing) but I also run the risk of getting "too hot" of a day, which could be a disaster.

We'll know next week though! That will be exciting.
Just for fun I'll run through my gear setup

Me
- Giro Aerohead MIPS (M)
- Castelli BP3.3 (M)
- Aerocoach Trip Socks (M)
- Bioracer TT gloves (S)
- DMT P1 shoes (44)

Bike
- Fuji Track Elite (54)
- Dura Ace Track Crank w/stages PM (167.5)
- Dura Ace 53t Chainring
- Dura Ace 15t Cog
- Dura Ace 7710 Bottom Bracket
- Izumi Chain w/homebrew speed wax
- Speedplay Aero Zero cleats and pedals
- Tririg Sigma X stem
- 3T Brezza II Nano base bar
- Zipp Evo 70 Extensions w/3d printed dummy plugs
- Aerocoach Align arm pads
- Fizik Ares saddle
- Walker Brothers Revo2 disc w/22mm Vittoria Evo Pista rear
- No-Name Mavic iO clone, 19mm Vittoria Evo Pista front (Possible option of a deep section spoked wheel as well)
- Powertap Joule GPS+ mounted w/custom 3d printed behind the saddle mount.

Will all that gear pimpness buy me the speed necessary to get the job done? I'm guessing I'll still have to pedal pretty hard, but I'm hoping it at least helps a little!

So, next week either you'll get a race report filled with greatness, or one full of excuses ;)

Until then, Thanks so much for reading, I really appreciate it!

- Christopher Morelock

No comments:

Post a Comment