Wednesday, September 20, 2017

Shimmy Shimmy ya

Shimmy yam shimmy yay

Ok, ODB references aside...  my new project (well, bike project, the real time consuming project I've been working on is learning to cut my own hair, which is MUCH more difficult than bike related stuff!) is printing off some angled shims for my Brezza bars.

I've learned both times that I went to the wind tunnel (I'm a slow learner obviously) that higher hands worked for me. While I understand it's not quite so simple as some is good so more must be better, I think it's safe to assume it's not going to be a negative hitting the limit allowed by the UCI. The problem of course is that 3T doesn't make any angled spacers for the Brezza II's I use.  There are a couple of ways around such an issue, but I spent good hard earned money on my 3D printer, and by God I'm going to take every excuse to use it!

The initial mock up just took my original spacers design and chopped off a 10° angle towards the back. Voila!


Maybe not the most refined piece of work, but the important thing is that it's functional.

So, after a shell for test fitting and some minor adjusting, I printed off two of the little buggers and bolted them down. With the way the 3T bars bolt on, I don't see any need for a conical washer or any other frills, everything seems to be a-ok!



You get a feel for how much higher 10° actually is. I'm lucky with the 3T hardware as it conveniently also tilts the pads so no need for another solution for that. Now to throw it all back on the homemade jig and make sure it all passes snuff.

I may print off a few taller and shorter shims as well, just in case I get froggy and want to be able to test multiple angles and/or heights. With the material I'm using I don't want to add much height to the spacer, as I'm much less confident of it's lateral strength.

Thanks a ton for reading, I really appreciate it!

- Christopher Morelock

No comments:

Post a Comment