Monday, May 21, 2018

The nightmare of logistics

It seems like I am starting more and more posts this way, but... it's been a while.

The primary reason is that training has taken a front seat in everything. This is the final push towards July to get as fit as possible, and it's a trying time. Mentally as much (if not more so) than physically. Unfortunately, the things that don't immediately fuel that get pushed to the side. (like the blog, sadly)

One of the things that seems to go hand in hand with hour records is devilish logistics. For possibly the best firsthand account you can read  The Hour by Michael Hutchinson. While his struggle was primarily related to the bike required for the antiquated "athletes" hour, my own tribulations stem more from the location. Mainly, it's the end of May and I don't have a concrete venue to do my attempt at in July.

Aguascalientes is still where my hope lies, but it's becoming likely that the velodrome will be undergoing maintenance (re-finishing the track) during our target dates. Sanding/working on the boards can take quite a while (a month or so) and the process can indeed slow the track down a bit until it is again "worn in." The work was supposed to be done by now, but delays have set it back to what seems to be perfectly scheduled to interfere with our trip. It's possible we won't know for sure until July1... at which point I'm concerned I won't be able to secure flight/lodging (for a price I can stand to pay) which has left me scrambling to try to figure out a "plan b."

The seemingly obvious choice is just to wait and re-schedule the trip for later in the year. While that seems the most logical solution, it's one that I'm not sure I can come to terms with. I am ready for this to be finished. Spending every waking moment thinking about bearing friction and atmospheric pressure is something I enjoy in the abstract, but has begin to take it's toll on me. It's difficult to focus on one big event for almost two years and not start to feel the strain as the end comes into view.  I suspect this will be my first and my last "serious" hour attempt.

The next spot on the list is Colorado Springs. The altitude is similar, the track is longer (both a good and a bad thing) and the travel is easier. The downside is that the paved track is not on par with the boards in Aguas, and just in general the track is a bit slower. I think it's still a great option, but of course it doesn't come without it's won logistical problems. Namely, the bubble that surrounds it is not a permanent structure, and the velodrome is working to make it permanent. If that happens, it will have to come off while the permanent fixtures are installed... of course the time frame for that is likely in July...meaning best case the top is off, and worst case the track is just closed. Neither being ideal for a backup plan.

There is also "The Day of the Hour" in Milton. By all accounts a very nice track, and pretty quick. Unfortunately, it's also at sea level. Doing my calculations, it would be very difficult for me to break the record at sea level... maybe impossible. It's also possible I'm selling myself a bit short, but with the cost involved in this endeavor (and the likelihood that I'll never try it again) I really want to make this shot the absolute best I can.

At the end of the day, these are all things that are mostly out of my control, so all I can do is ride the wave and see how things pan out. Of course that's easy to type out on the computer, and a lot tougher to deal with sitting in the chair.  We'll see how this all shakes out. At the very least, it's going to be an interesting story to tell in the years to come!

Thanks for checking in, I really appreciate it. I promise we'll get back on a normal schedule one of these days!

- Christopher Morelock

2 comments:

  1. There is the outdoor track in Louisville Colorado. Not a great option, but it could be fast on a calm hot day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Michael,

    Thanks, I've been looking at a lot of tracks. I think I'm too close to "the edge" to risk the elements, but it may not be a choice. I'll look at the track, I'd at least like to go out to Co to see how I respond to altitude.

    ReplyDelete