Wednesday, February 13, 2013

And in my spare time...

Well, I'm slowly working my way back into training. It feels kind of weird saying that since it's only been 2 weeks since I injured myself. Not that I'm complaining, I'm excited that I can get back to it so fast.

I managed to get a good swim in last night, which was what had me "most" worried. Even though Swimming is a low impact sport, there is a LOT of motion that goes into it. When you're not 100% sure what the problem is (only a general area that hurts) those are the kinds of things that can end up being more trouble than a "beat you up" activity like running. That said, I'm doing my first "run" tonight, so wish me luck that all goes well.

As far as cycling goes, I've been doing quite a bit of spinning. I am still a bit afraid of doing hard intervals, so to keep my sanity (and since my actual trainer is sitting at the LBS for the classes) I've done the unthinkable.
...
....

I have dug the rollers out of the Closet!

That's right... I went there.
 Me and the ole' Kreitlers (Dyno-Myte's if you must know. The "tougher" ones.) have had a long on and off relationship. Every year I get them out of the garage, set them up in the hallway (doorway) with the excited anticipation of getting my bike handling skills down. Twenty minutes later I'm panting, sliding around like I'm on ice skates (not something you'll ever see me doing again.) cursing at whatever paragon first created these torture devices. Then a ride or two later I'll be comfortable again, riding with one (even no) hand, reaching for my bottle, doing single leg drills... happy as all is right with the world. That's about the time I unceremoniously fly off the side of the rollers and land somewhere in my wall / floor. A multitude of curses escape me and then we start the cycle all over again

More fun than it looks. Right?
Nonetheless, I've had a lot more "time" on my hands the last few weeks. Fortunately I'm not exactly the kind of guy to take these kinds of setbacks lying down, so I've managed to stay busy.
First, my house was a complete wreck. I've had a shower curtain (that's awesome) sitting on my table for almost 4 months. So, first order of business, install shower curtain.

Release the Kraken!
Shower curtain installation, successful. (mostly) Now any time somebody wants to borrow my shower, they'll have to be careful of lurking sea beasts ready to devour them with bad@ssery.

Then of course, there's my painting. Acrylics have always been my first love, since I was a child. That said, I'm a pretty unfaithful lover. I will get excited about a new piece, pour 8-10 hours into it, get about 1/4 of the way done, and then let it sit for about 6 months without touching a brush. I have just now been re-bitten by the painting bug, so it's time to get (re) started on this little piece.
Forbidden Fruit is the best Fruit!
I'm afraid I haven't done much more than lay down the base colors, so to say there's still a little work to be done is a massive understatement. I suspect we'll end up with around 20 hours in this one, and right now I think I've logged 45 minutes :) That's ok, when It comes together It should be acceptable as a hallway piece. (You know, a picture of temptation leading towards the bedroom... or kitchen depending on which one is your favorite sin)

One day I hope to be a painter that's worthy of attempting a masterpiece like this

Take your time, envy this piece all you want. I understand.


Ok, that's what I've got. Off to go try to get my run in. Hopefully it's back to normal... or as normal as my life ever is :)

Thanks for Reading!

-Christopher Morelock

No comments:

Post a Comment